ZUPPA DI POMODORE
(Creamy Tomato Soup)
Ingredients:
- 4 Medium Onions, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 lb. Fresh Tomatoes (Chef said they have to be the "best" and therefore Romana Tomatoes), cubed
- 4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Quart Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 Quart Heavy Cream
- 4 oz. (I use 1 large bunch) Fresh Basil
- 4 Tablespoons Corn Starch
Directions:
- Sautee sliced Onions in Olive Oil
- Add the Tomato Paste and Brown Sugar
- Then add the cubed Tomatoes
- Fill up with the Vegetable Stock and cook slowly for minimum 1 hour
- Remove from heat, Add the Basil Leaves
- Puree everything in a food processor or blender
- Strain back into the pot and re-heat to a slow boil
- Mix Corn Starch with water to dissolve, add slowly to soup once boiling, to thicken
- Reduce heat to low, add Cream and a little Salt & Pepper
Chef's Special Tip: Add 1/8 c Balsamic Vinegar before serving
Serves 8.
When I make this, I sprinkle some fresh Parmesan cheese on top and serve it alongside bread or grilled cheese, and salad for a complete meal. Or use it as a soup course for a larger dinner. (It reheats well too!)
![]() |
| My dad and I on the Riverboat, near Venice, 2004 |


No comments:
Post a Comment